As the temperatures continue to climb, I do what I always do in the summertime: hole up in an air conditioned place with a book or movie and wait for the suffocating madness to pass. So, I think a lot about movies.
Most pop culture savvy folk have their movie predispositions. I most certainly have mine. I'm grateful to live in a world where Netflix appreciates and caters to said predispositions--the Taste Preferences section of Netflix gets very, very specific. I love it. One can indicate a preference for films including Singing Cowboys, Evil Kids, Future Dystopias, Mistaken Identities, or my favorite uber specific category of all: Monkeys.
Netflix doesn't go quite far enough for me, though.
Types of movies that I am predisposed to like:
We saw Brave last weekend (predisposition score: 3/5). I really liked it a lot, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. Still, give me a Scottish princess, some gloriously animated Highlands scenery, and genuine Scottish accents and I am a happy camper. Without the actual camping. It's too hot outside.
Brave certainly could have been worse. I love me some Pixar, but that love doesn't spread equally across all of their film catalog.
Wendy's Pixar Categories
That was a moving, whimsical, transcendent film that renewed my faith in Art.
You know what? I really liked that film.
Eh. I think I remember watching it.
There's got to be a more meaningful way to sell toys.
That is all.
Most pop culture savvy folk have their movie predispositions. I most certainly have mine. I'm grateful to live in a world where Netflix appreciates and caters to said predispositions--the Taste Preferences section of Netflix gets very, very specific. I love it. One can indicate a preference for films including Singing Cowboys, Evil Kids, Future Dystopias, Mistaken Identities, or my favorite uber specific category of all: Monkeys.
Netflix doesn't go quite far enough for me, though.
Types of movies that I am predisposed to like:
- Period dramas from almost any time period, up until about the 1970s
- Spy stuff
- Films set in the British isles and Ireland--extra points for genuine accents
- Excellent animation, including stop motion but only rarely including computer generated animation (Pixar being the rare jewel of an exception)
- Psychological/cerebral dramas
We saw Brave last weekend (predisposition score: 3/5). I really liked it a lot, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. Still, give me a Scottish princess, some gloriously animated Highlands scenery, and genuine Scottish accents and I am a happy camper. Without the actual camping. It's too hot outside.
Brave certainly could have been worse. I love me some Pixar, but that love doesn't spread equally across all of their film catalog.
Wendy's Pixar Categories
That was a moving, whimsical, transcendent film that renewed my faith in Art.
- WALL-E
- Up
You know what? I really liked that film.
- Toy Story trilogy
- A Bug's Life
- Monsters, Inc.
- Finding Nemo
- The Incredibles
- Brave
Eh. I think I remember watching it.
- Ratatouille (to be fair, it's probably in the upper category . . . I just don't remember it very well)
There's got to be a more meaningful way to sell toys.
- Cars (and probably 2, but I won't see it)
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment